You want solutions? You want bipartisanship? Fine. Let's start with a fair, fact-based discussion of cutting taxes the minute this deficit is eliminated.
If you aren't willing to engage in that discussion, then I'll know that this is all happy talk.
Given that situation, let us begin the discussion of making upwards of $5 billion worth of budget cuts. My State Senator, Tarryl Clark, has indicated that this is the discussion we need to and will have as a state so let's start it here.
As we begin, I have a few guiding questions:
- What general area of the budget do you feel could or should be cut the most? Why?
- Within each budgetary area, what specific programs could or should be cut? What reasons do you have for cutting this program?
- Within each area, what specific staff positions could or should be cut? Why?
- How much will each of your cuts save?
- What other specific ideas do you have for solving the current budget crisis?
Anyone and everyone is welcome to participate...