8:40 PM | Posted in
I spent the day at the State Capitol today lobbying my legislators and the legislators in my area about a variety of issues of concern to educators throughout the state. Chief amongst those issues is the final passage of a statewide health insurance pool.

As a political junkie (or nerd as Mrs. Muse would call me), this was similar to Christmas for me. As a group we talked to Democrats and Republicans in the area in order to convince them that these measures are good for educators.


Steve Gottwalt (R): We caught Mr. Gottwalt heading to the floor of the House and although we didn't get a firm commitment on the statewide health insurance pool, we also didn't get a definitive no on the bill. This is encouraging and my hope is that if and when the bill comes to a vote we will have his support.

Unfortunately, on other issues we received a cold reception from Mr. Gottwalt. He used our work schedule against us when asked to support reinstatement of the 'Rule of 90'. Apparently, we as teachers don't deserve such benefits. I was encouraged to hear that Mr. Gottwalt will be supporting measures to mandate parents read to their children so that we as a state don't have to spend money on all day every day kindergarten. Thank You, Representative Gottwalt!

For the most part, our chat with Mr. Gottwalt felt reminiscent of this:



Tarryl Clark (DFL): The only disappointment of my day was that we were unable to meet with Senator Clark. Her busy schedule simply did not permit her enough time to leave the Senate floor. Perhaps, as a way to make it up to me, Senator Clark will grant me an exclusive interview to discuss education issues. ;)

Betsy Wergin (R): I really do enjoy going to speak with Senator Wergin. There may not be many things that we agree upon but I always leave those meetings a little happier than when I came. She is such a likeable character that our disagreements simply fade into the background and a friendly conversation ensues. We were somewhat encouraged that she was moving "closer" to supporting the statewide health insurance pool and from what I heard she is supporting the reinstatement of the 'Rule of 90'. Thank You, Senator Wergin!

Larry Hosch (DFL): Mr. Hosch truly is a superstar for educators in this area and across the state. He supports and has supported all along the statewide health insurance pool as well as the reinstatement of the 'Rule of 90'. Thank You, Representative Hosch!

Larry Haws (DFL): Mr. Haws is another great supporter of educators and our conversation was a hoot as he charmed all of us with his stories and anecdotes. Thank You, Representative Haws!

I can't wait until next year when we have veto proof majorities in both the House and the Senate. With Marty Seifert kicking out anyone who votes their conscience, soon it will be Severson, Seifert, Gottwalt, and Demmer huddling for warmth and screaming into the wind.


Category:
��