9:44 PM | Posted in ,
A reader of my recent post discussing the United States Senate race here in Minnesota sent me a link to the foundation created by the law firm at which Mike Ciresi is the Chairman of the Executive Board.

This foundation, in its 10 year existence, has given out upwards of $9 million dollars in grants and other donations. What warms my heart is the millions of dollars given to various educational institutions throughout the country.

The mission was to create a permanent endowment, income from which would be distributed primarily in Minnesota and the Twin Cities, and provide support primarily in three areas: K-12 education programs, public health concerns and advocacy for social justice initiatives.


There is no way the reader could have known this, but I am what some would refer to as a theatre (note the proper spelling of the word!) geek. The theatre has been my second love for many years and was the source of many friendships throughout my years in college. So, when I read this,

The Minneapolis Public School District has received over $700,000 for the district's Academic Achievement through the Arts Program


and this,

In 2006, four theatres received grants totaling $500,000 to create innovative strategies for addressing issues of social justice and tolerance through the performing arts to youth.


there was an instant sense of gratitude towards this organization and its founders. A good friend of mine spent a significant number of years working at the Mixed Blood Theatre and its mission of social justice is exactly the message we should all support.

I have always been of the mind that theatre and the arts can be a huge benefit in the life of any child. Many kids, not typically served by sports programs, are able to find their voice and passion within the theatre (whether on stage or behind stage). Having created a theatre program at my school and having directed several shows throughout the years, I can honestly say that students benefit in tremendous ways and I thank Mr. Ciresi and his organization for supporting these crucial programs.
��