1:42 PM | Posted in , ,
I am not normally a letter writer (although perhaps I will start!) but I simply can no longer sit by while my representation in Congress ignores even a bipartisan measure and has the audacity to call it "playing politics".

So, here is the email I sent Michele today:

Dear Representative Bachmann,

Recently, you chose to vote against the reauthorization and expansion of SCHIP (H.R. 976). You have been quoted as saying, “This bill will not be signed into law because, sadly, it plays politics with children’s health care”. My question is, and I am truly trying to understand this, how are people “playing politics” when a bill has been given relatively large bipartisan support? Could you provide some details as to how both Democrats and yourself can compromise to make this important legislation, or any legislation for that matter, a reality?
I am pleased that you are, at the very least, supportive of the SCHIP program and encourage you to continue that support. However, the bill you are supporting (H.R. 3584) actually lowers the number of children currently being supported by SCHIP. The Congressional Budget Office estimated that in order to cover the children currently using SCHIP you would need to raise the budget by $13 billion. H.R. 3584 only provides $5 billion. If you are truly supportive of SCHIP, I urge you, at the very least, to sponsor legislation or an amendment that increases funding by the $13 billion needed so it does not actually cut children from the number of insured. Would you be willing to sign on to legislation that funds SCHIP at the level the CBO estimates is needed to keep the current numbers of children insured?

Sincerely,

*************


We will see what, if anything, happens!
��

Comments

2 responses to "My Email to Michele..."

  1. Gary Gross On September 28, 2007 at 9:58 PM

    I won't pretend to speak for Rep. Bachmann. From what I've heard, this bill would allow families of 4 earning $80K annually to go onto the S-CHIP program. That's why the cost is $35 billion instead of the President's number of 15 billion. (Don't quote me on President Bush's number. I've made mistakes b4.)

    I'm betting that the reason why Rep. Bachmann is saying they're playing politics with it is because most see this as a stealth step on the path to government-run universal health insurance.

    FWIW, I wouldn't have a problem keeping the current group insured under the program.

     
  2. lloydletta On September 30, 2007 at 11:13 PM

    Please let us know if the Non-Representative from the 6th District deigns to respond.